xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

2008-10-30 03:57:11
John Snelson wrote:
:-)
XQuery and XSLT 2.0 are such close languages - it's probably time to
start building bridges between them, rather than offhand rejection. We
have greater common enemies... ;-)

---

Yes, considering:

1) that XSLT and XQuery share the same XPath/XQuery functions,
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/

2) the same XPath/XQuery data model, http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/,

3) the same spec for serialization,
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-xquery-serialization/,

4) the same formal semantics, http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-semantics/,

5) the same XML Schema datatypes.

7) that XSLT 2.0 processors are most often also XQuery processors.

8) that XSLT and XQuery make use of more or less the same dialogs in
XML-editors.

It is strange to me that this mailing list is not for both XSLT and
XQuery (I know the traffic is probably too high to accommodate more).

One of the very great things about XSLT is that when you know it, it
is so easy also to learn XQuery and to use it when XSLT is overkill.
To know XQuery even helps you get a better understanding of XSLT and
to appreciate it when XSLT is second to none or at least really
powerful: xsl:analyze-string, xsl:number, xsl:for-each-group, the
concept of being a stylesheet, of templates and recursion.

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com