xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

2008-10-31 15:41:03
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:58:33AM -0000, Joe Fawcett wrote:
I normally learn by reading a book written by someone who understands the
spec, Dr. Kay's XSLT books for example, and when I've mastered the basics
use the spec if I have low-level queries that need answering.

Yes, Mike Kay's XSLT books are fabulous.

This approach hasn't worked with XQuery yet, Amazon has no recent books on
the subject, understandable given that the XQuery Update CR was only issued
on 1 August 2008. Anyone know of any "in the pipeline"?

Amazon lists Priscilla Walmsley's 2007 book on XQuery.
I see also a book not yet available, by Ioana Manolescu and Yannis
Papakonstantinou.

The XQuery specification itself is one of W3C's more readable
specs (along with XSLT).  The update specification isn't yet
a Recommendation, and neither is the xpath 2 full text
specification, but XQuery is useful without waiting :-) and
for that matter I don't know if we'll see XSLT 2 processors with
full-text support.  Also, take a look at the XQuery use cases for
some examples. It's linked from www.w3.org/TR/ and also from
http://www.w3.org/Query/

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/