xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT (2) namespace safe i18n patterns

2009-11-24 09:30:20
2009/11/24 Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>:

xml:lang is all about mixing languages in the same file,

I don't think that's entirely true. I think there was at least in some
people's minds the idea that @xml:lang could drive things like indexing for
search engines (both to choose how to tokenize and stem the words, and to
decide the relevance of the document to the user). It could even be used for
styling, e.g. to decide hyphenation algorithms. But of course there's no
reason to use xml:lang in the absence of such behaviour, and there's no
reason for software to do such things if people aren't using the
attribute...

Ah ok, however don't those things fall into the presentation layer
(xhtml, html etc) ?    I guess back when the decision was made, the
vision was for search engines to index the XML (semantic web?) and for
browsers to render it directly (xml + css)...

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com