xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT (2) namespace safe i18n patterns

2009-11-24 10:28:28
I agree with Florent Georges -- if BCP 47 tags are sufficient, one
should use xml:lang=. The TEI work-group studying this area in 2003
came up with the exact opposite recommendation than that of Andrew
Welch -- that is, when TEI went from P4 to P5, we decided to
recommended use of xml:lang= over tei:lang=, *even though* there is
more power and flexibility to tei:lang=. Thus TEI P5 relies on
xml:lang=.

:)

It's not my recommendation, this is from "Best Practices for XML
Internationalization":

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevMLDoc

---------------------
Example 14: Avoiding multilingual documents

This is an example of bad design. It shows a single document that
contains multiple translations of the same content:

<messages>
 <msg xml:id='fileNotFound'>
  <text xml:lang="en">File not found.</text>
  <text xml:lang="fr">Fichier non trouvé.</text>
 </msg>
</messages>

--
Andrew Welch