xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

2010-01-05 15:55:28
David Carlisle wrote:

But the default encoding for text/xml is ASCII:
yes but as I say they encoding can be specified in the headers if it
differs from that. the files served from the NAG site are ASCII (using
numeric references for non ascii characters) so no change from the
default is required.

I didn't suggest otherwise.  I'm pointing out that your lack of XML
Prolog is causing Opera to choose utf-8.  It's a repeatable problem,
and it is solvable (except doing so will put IE 6 into quirks mode).

Without the plugin you described, IE 6 is displaying a box on your
link, where Opera shows a character.  Since they're both on the same
system, it looks to me like IE 6 is coming up ASCII and Opera is
coming up Unicode, and you have exactly one Unicode character on
that page that isn't ASCII.

various symbols are referenced by character reference, whether they
display as the correct character or not relates to the default fonts
used rather than parsing.

But I'm looking at two browsers with the same font settings, on the
same system, with the same fonts available.  The only other explanation
for the box relates to parsing.

-Eric