xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

2010-01-05 15:13:27

See, that makes sense to me as a REST developer -- serving application/
xhtml+mathml -- as it applies the self-descriptive messaging constraint.
What I'm trying to avoid is what I call "the w3schools approach" (which
the NAG site is an example of), which relies on shared misunderstanding
of Web architecture.  This has been quite the topic of late:

Not at all. It is an example of following w3c standards to the letter.

There is nothing about the 'text/xml' media type which can be construed
as telling browsers anything about how to process that payload.
Without an XSLT PI, some browsers will display an XML file as a
collapsible tree, like IE does.  Other browsers will display the
output, ignoring all tags and CSS XML PIs (unless application/xml is
used).  What no browser should do, is treat that as text/html and allow
it to execute scripts -- that would be "privilege escalation" as
described in my links -- until you put in an XSLT PI (for some
reason).

That was the main point of developing XML, to allow XML to be served
over the web, and have styling information being supplied by a
referenced stylesheet. If you don't suppy a style then you et a browser
specific default, but since a style is supplied that is not relevant here.

The point being, will an architecture using the w3schools approach
still function in new browsers in two years?  Five?  I don't have that
concern if I'm conforming with native Web architecture.

I fear you are misunderstanding the relevant specifications.
Obviously if browsers stop supporting xslt or the xml-stylesheet within
the next 5 years things will stop working, but otherwise this is a fully
standards conforming site (as is the xhtml version of the MathML2 Rec at
http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/overview.xml which uses similar technology)

Given that your suggested alternative appears to involve gratuitously
invalid xhtml and, you report, fails to work, I can't take too seriously
your comments that using xslt in this way breaks web architecture.

David