xsl-list

Re: [xsl] [MISC] How was the XSLT 2.0 norm written (tools, format)

2010-01-22 16:29:08
If I remember correctly from the W3C mailing lists, there's always been a lot of debate about form, tools and layout. In the early days, it was just plain HTML that was written (maybe they were modern and used emacs) but later, at least for some specifications, they put the content in a data format (XML?) to ease the formatting process. However, the file is real: it is hosted as a document.

If we have a look at the source for the XSLT 2.0 spec, the following might surprise you:

      "HTML Tidy for Mac OS X (vers 1st December 2004), see www.w3.org" />

which makes one think or guess that at least some editors worked from the Mac and didn't trust their HTML (or XSLT transformation?) skills.

Thinking it through, my memory fails me and I can't find any reference. Perhaps somebody more acquainted to the W3C can shed a better light on the subject. But I like the question ;-)

Regards,
Abel

Alain wrote:
Hi XSL experts,

and happy new year to all.
This question might not be totally relevant to that list but I was
wondering how was the XSLT 2.0 norm written.

Saying "how", I mean which tools and source format did the experts that
wrote it use. I assume it's not written typing plain HTML with vi!

Was it written in pieces of XML (which flavour ?) and then transformed
to this nice HTML we have with a special custom XSLT transform... or do
W3C have processes and tools to do their publications?

If there was a clever tool and source format in use (other than typing
plain HTML with vi!) I'd like to know... of course if it's not a W3C
secret!.. as I have sort of the same publication work to do.

Best Regards.
Alain BENEDETTI

--~--