xsl-list

Re: [xsl] are all strings in a sequence valid potential QNames

Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> It doesn't change it a whole lot from XML 1.1.  You were supporting
>> XML 1.1, right?  If no, what hope would there have been that you'd
>> have supported an XML 1.2? Even less. If yes, quit complaining  :-)

With respect, Liam, I find your comments a tad dismissive of the problem.

I'm more than happy to write code to support XML 1.1 and a future XML 1.2
if there is user demand for it.  There is no complaint about writing the
trivial code for the XPath engine once data is past the XML parser.

What the issue is about is the question of validating source data
in (to the XML parser) and writing valid result data upon serialization.
As many others have pointed out, in the absence of an explicit XML version
identifier it's pretty difficult to unambiguously determine whether you
are validating an XML 1.0 source document against pre- or post- 1.0 5th
edition.

Also there's not point passing the buck onto the XML parser writer when
you are one and the same person.

If there is a version of XML that would be a pleasure to support that
would have to be XML 1.0.5.  Is it really too late? Just because most
of the noise about this was in 2007/2008, it doesn't mean that the problem
has automatically gone away in 2010.  And apparently it hasn't if this
is anything to go by:

XML Prague 2009, Day 2 | De Gustibus
XML 1.0 Fifth Edition http://www.adjb.net/post/SC-34-Meetings-Prague-Day-1.aspx

My apologies if this is moving too much off topic for this list, though
one would reasonably expect that issues surrounding XSLT 2.0 implementation
are just as relevant as are end-user XSLT questions and answers.***

*** (btw. If to the contrary would someone please point me to an active
forum where it okay to discuss XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 implementation issues.)

Regards

Justin Johansson