xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT for Mashups

2010-03-02 22:02:18
On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 18:32 -0800, Alex Clark wrote:
[...]
It seems to me that a natural progression is to extend XSLT from generally
one input (XML) and one output (XML, HTML, etc) to include numerous input
sources of varying types to numerous output targets.

This was a part of the XSLT 2.0 work -- XSLT 1 already supported
multiple XML inputs via the document() function, as well as text files,
and XSLT 2 adds the idea that any data source that can be represented in
terms of a shared data model can be processed by XSLT 2 and XQuery.

On the other hand, we (W3C) did not define explicit places to put, say,
SQL or SPARQL or other syntax to configure such inputs; for my own part
I'd be supportive of such an idea.

Outside W3C, such things can be done by groups of people -- e.g.
exslt.org -- and maybe even brought to W3C for standardization.
Within W3C, it's also possible, if at least two Member organizations
are sufficiently interested, to start a new "incubator group" to
investigate such things.

Having said all that, I also wonder whether XQuery isn't a better
starting-point for mashups... not because of differences in power
of the languages, but because of different focus of implementations.

Liam