xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Math "functions" for XSLT 1.0

2010-03-04 07:58:13
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM, COUTHURES Alain
<alain(_dot_)couthures(_at_)agencexml(_dot_)com> wrote:
Dimitre,

To substantiate this statement, I ran a quick and dirty test for sin()
on 201 values in the interval [-1, +1], with x(i) = x(i-1) +0.01.

Here are the results (using Msxml4):

CORDIC (Couthures): 93.810ms

Taylor series(FXSL) :   9.664 ms

Thank you for these measures! Did you also compare results by the way ?

Yep, the results from both transformations are the same in 11 to 16
digits after the decimal point.

About CORDIC, the quote in Wikipedia you gave is not in the French version
of it but should be added. Today, the problem is not "to read more" but "to
find what to read" and "not to find what not to read".

I'd put it in another way: Always verify any statement you read --
don't take it for granted.

So, I will keep in mind to look at this later if necessary...

I don't pretend to be smarter, the truth is I don't hesitate to do
myself what I can't find, even if others say it's impossible or, at least,
difficult.

This is exactly describing me, too, but after carrying out a lot of
such "impossible" tasks, even this becomes boring. After implementing
an LR parsing system in XSLT and creating with it two specific parsers
-- for JSON and for XPath 2.0, I cannot find anything that is at least
as interesting to implement as these. :(

I love XSLT and, even if it's not always easy, I'm convinced that XSLT 1.0
(the only one implemented by Microsoft, PHP and browsers,... if only there
was a count of deployed XSLT engines, XSLT 1.0 would be the (almost unused)
winner) is good for any kind of calculations too.

As for using XSLT processors from a particular vendor, I always use
the one most suitable to the task -- sometimes it is Saxon, sometimes
MSXML, a lot of the time it is .NET XslCompiledTransform. A very
important factor is also the XSLT IDE to use. For XSLT 2.0 Oxygen +
Saxon is nice, for XSLT 1.0 I'm still using the 10 years old
XSelerator.

These IDEs allow many user-specified XSLT processors to be invoked
most easily, so it is not a problem to use a specific one in every
case.

Cheers,

Dimitre.

-Alain