xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT for Mashups

2010-03-05 11:01:50
On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 16:48 +0000, Florent Georges wrote:
[...]
  Thanks, Mike.  But clearly, REST cannot be supported by doc().
You can issue simple GET requests, but REST is based on more
HTTP verbs than GET.  Not mentioning headers yet.

Before XQuery and XSLT 2 were Recommendations I wrote a proposal
to give access to the URI resolver that would allow e.g. SOAP.
At that time it was rejected, at least partly because I didn't write
it well enough probably.

Since then, the XML Processing Model Working Group (XProc)'s pipelining
language has some support for HTTP, and I think may offer a better
answer.

But yes, let's talk in Prague about it - it's actually one of the topics
for my session too: should we (W3C) do more work *around* the current
scope of XSLT and XQuery, e.g. fitting XProc and XSLT and Query together
more tightly, or maybe enough of a Web framework that people can use
these languages as back ends for Web apps directly.  There seems to
be quite a bit of interest in such things.

Liam