xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Ordered union of sequences

2010-04-08 08:50:42
Am 08.04.2010 um 15:40 schrieb Dimitre Novatchev:

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Michael Müller-Hillebrand
<mmh(_at_)cap-studio(_dot_)de> wrote:
Hello experts,

I tried hard to come up with a good subject, but maybe I failed. I am
looking for pointers and terms that I can use for further research. The task
at hand, which I plan to solve in XSLT2, is the creation of a combined
master sequence of a number of sequences in a way so the internal order of
sequence items (identified by their name) is preserved (and inconsistencies
can be reported).

There is an arbitrary number of sequences, sometimes containing items with
the same name:

(k, o, p, c, f)
(d, e, f, g)
(k, f, z, o)
(a, b, c, d)

I want to create a master sequence which contains every item once,
preserving the original order.

There are many possibilities for inconsistencies (like above the item "o"
appears before and after "f", which should be detected as an inconsistency)
and obviously there is more than one possible solution. Luckily I am only
interested in one solution, e.g.:

(a, b, k, o, p, c, d, e, f, z, g)

But this is *not* preserving the original order !

You need to define the problem correctly.

Yes, I knew it would not be easy, especially as I am not used to mathematical
lingo in English (or other languages), but I like the required precision. ;-)

Maybe the "relative order" would be a better term. I want each item x which
appears after item y in any of the source sequences to also appear after that
item y, but the distance may vary if during the "union process" other items
appear between them.

I hope this is better,

- Michael

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentations-Technologie
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Lösungen und Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog: http://cap-studio.de/ - Tel. +49 (9131) 28747