xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?

2010-10-31 06:18:47
Hello,

the absence of some basic I/O functionality forces me to use extension
functions, java, or ant. Consider the creating of an EPUB from a DocBook source:

- XSL transformation of the source XML
- copying images from source to the destination folder
- zip the destination folder

You can't do that with pure XSLT.

It would be very handy to have some really basic commands to avoid switching to
other languages, like
- prompt (raised by Gerrit)
- copy/move/delete/rename/create files and folders
- zip/unzip
- checking file properties (exists, date of create/last change, size)

I know that there are good reasons, why these functions are not part of XSLT.
On the other hand, these lack of functionality is a massive handicap within a
lot of common tasks.

With regard to the small/large project discussion: especially small projects
(one time stylesheets, one purpose scripts) would benefit from this
functionality because of the lesser costs for developing and deploying.

Stefan