xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Can this hard-coded template be generalized?

2011-10-02 17:02:25
At 2011-10-02 14:47 -0700, Mark wrote:
My problem was that I was unable to say abstractly exactly what I wanted to do and resorted to the hard code example to picture what was needed. The source of that problem is that I cannot always picture accurately what is being presented at some specific processing instance and place.

Not at all uncommon.

Oddly enough, because of that problem, although I had started with a close approximation of your code, I made some wrong initial assumptions about what I had in hand, followed by several mistaken corrections, which led to all that noise.

Not a problem.  That happens when you get off on a tangent.

I have, however, simplified a lot of code after we talked last week, but there are still many C++ fingerprints smeared on it. At 72, it is just a bit harder to change one's tricks.

No doubt such thinking will keep your mind sharp! I'm a second-generation freelance computer programmer myself and taught these technologies to my father in one of my public classes (never was I more nervous as a teacher!).

In posting to this list I try to illustrate different techniques used in solutions.

Thatâ??s why yesterday I asked the list for sources of XSLT design patterns.

I sell a book on XSLT (and one on XSL-FO, and one on UBL, and one on code lists in XML), but I'm too biased to give you a proper recommendation. It is more a reference than a book of design patterns. My instructor-led hands-on teaching and our 24-hour interactive instructional DVD are both based on this book.

Next week I'll be announcing to this list the book's recent unlocked availability in its complete form on a "try and buy" promise (if you like it, you buy it; if you don't, you delete it). Too busy this week to announce it properly.

No sources, but got a misdirected affectionate note in French, though.

I smiled on reading it, then smiled wider recognizing who wrote it.

Good luck, Mark!

Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com