xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Getting a block to end on the last page

2011-12-01 10:29:32
At 2011-12-01 10:14 -0600, Colin DeClue wrote:
There are two separate things that can determine how many pages there
will be, which is why it matters.

Where you place the content matters.  Are you flowing content concurrently?

On a given report, there's a list of
charges that need to be displayed, and a list of items on a shipment
that need to be displayed, and a list of notes about the items.

Well, that's three things.

What is the order and placement of these three sections in the final output?

Any of
those three, the charges, the items or the notes could be the piece
that extends the longest, and determines how many pages there are.

I'm lost at "extends the longest" ... can you point to a picture of what you mean that is on the web somewhere, or draw what you mean in ASCII art?

If
it's the charges that are longest, great. Our work is done. We just
start the charges on the first page, and they end on the last.
However, if the charges are NOT the longest piece, as in the example I
provided, then we need to start the charges on a different page.

You lost me there, too. I guess I'm missing something in order to interpret your use of the word "longest". Content flows on a page and takes up as many pages as it needs to fit.

The
second, in the example. Now, I can figure out how many pages each
portion will take up, and determine from that what page to start the
charges on, but I was hoping there might be a more elegant way to do
it in XSL-FO.

Are you flowing these items concurrently on pages? Sequentially on pages? I guess words just aren't doing it for me.

Does that make sense?

Nope! Sorry. I'll let someone else pick up the ball on this question. It is obvious I am not in a position to help you. Please forgive me for not being able to understand your description.

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/t37DVX
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com