xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Are there any free, fully-compliant XSLT/XPath 3.0 processors?

2013-01-26 17:16:43
Liam wrote:

    If you see XPath as a domain-specific language
    for pointing into XML documents, or into XDM
    trees, it's hard to see a lot of people wanting
    to pay for something if all it did was save them
    money, improve reliability, reduce costs and
    speed up development.

That is a wonderful argument Liam. When I tell my operational people this and
then tell them, "Oh, you want to distribute this capability to the xx thousands
of people in the field. Okay, I'll implement it using XSLT/XPath and you'll
have to buy a license for them and that will cost many yy thousands of
dollars." They simply respond, "No, do not use XSLT/XPath. Implement the
capability in Java and distribute it for free to the people in the field."

Dimitre wrote:

    BaseX is free and as an XQuery 3.0 implementation
    it is also an XPath 3.0 implementation.

Thanks for notifying me of this Dimitre. I took a look at it. It appears to be
a database supporting XPath and XQuery queries. That won't help me build
fieldable applications. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jim wrote:

    Who are the people you are trying to convince
    to use XSLT vnext ? .. it might be that these folks
    will never learn such a language as XSLT e.g. are
    the docheads ? datageeks ? Javascript folk ?

Jim, they are non-techies. They don't care about XML or XSLT or XPath. They are
people with real, operational needs. Particular technologies is of no interest
to them. But telling them that by using XSLT/XPath they will have to purchase
licenses costing many yy thousands of dollars -- that gets their attention. And
immediate dismissal of XSLT/XPath.

/Roger