xsl-list

Re: [xsl] re:[xsl] xsl 2.0?

2013-11-04 14:39:29
On Mon, November 4, 2013 3:48 pm, Wayne Brisette wrote:
From: Tony Graham <tgraham(_at_)mentea(_dot_)net>

It's one of those things where the answer if different for different
people.  I've had more approaches for XSL-FO work in the last 18 months
than in any similar period previously, so, yes, it's working for many
people,

I suspect (and maybe you can confirm this Tony) that the reason you are
seeing an uptick in work is due to companies moving away from the
traditional publishing (FrameMaker, MS-Word) and moving more into
XML-based authoring environments such as DocBook and DITA. That being

I don't always know, since sometimes I'm already busy and it doesn't get
beyond the initial approach, but I've also go work from people using JATS.

said, those of us in that business find ourselves having to reach out
more and more to programmers and consultants to do things we use to do
ourselves, so there certainly is a level of frustration in our business

What technology did you use to 'do ourselves'?

I'm afraid you haven't given any details about what your business is.

we haven't had in quite some time. I for one keep looking at more
traditional CSS options only because, as mentioned here, finding

Describing CSS as 'traditional' is interesting since a one-time title for
September's "Publishing and the Open Web Platform" workshop [1] that you
can still see in the <title> is "The New Publishing - A W3C Workshop on
the Open Web Platform and the Traditional Print Publishing Industry".

somebody who has css experience is easier and a lot of times you have
that experience within a company. However, with the exception of
MadCap's Flare product, which we're not using (not sure what engine they
licensed, but it uses CSS) nearly all the PDF publishing systems are
using XSLT/XSL-FO for building PDFs.

I was interested to see at the Paris workshop how many people were using
XSL-FO, though for the ones invited to speak, it really was 'were' in the
past tense.

What would it take to make XSL-FO easier to use for publishers?

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham(_at_)mentea(_dot_)net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://www.w3.org/2012/12/global-publisher/Overview.html