xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xsl 2.0?

2013-11-04 16:27:45
Thanks for this Tony, and especially for the mention of the Print and Page
Layout Community Group.

The idea of a more modular spec is appealing if it means that a more modular
implementation can be built and tested piecemeal. I haven't had a look for many
years now, but the 1.0 spec was a nightmare. There were, necessarily, complex
interactions buried across scattered elements of the spec; and these
interactions were poorly understood by its writers.

This is not to say that the spec isn't a virtuoso display of print layout
expertise - it is. But the domain is so complex that problems were inevitable.
I imagine there are still plenty of edge cases where mature commercial FO
processors are incompatible, and the requirement for compatibility is going to
be a major hurdle to surgery on the spec.

Peter West

"...for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself
will be exalted.”