xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xsl 2.0?

2013-11-02 10:42:10
Dear Liam Quin,

Thank you for your reply.

Your comment referred to the company Antenna House. Your description may
be true.
For your understanding I am only a application developer and I am not
concerned to actual development of Antenna House Formatter.
All of my questions or opinions are personal and they does not represent
the intention of company.

Several major book publishers are using CSS-like solutions - including
Antenna House's, which adds some 200 custom properties that are not
really part of CSS, >and including YesLogic's PrinceXML formatter which
is more limited in some ways but handles XML, not just XHTML, and
supports OpenType.
There's a lot of pressure on CSS and on browser vendors from ebook
publishers (and ebook user communities), so the CSS Working Group
participants are >starting to take what they call paged media much more
seriously.

Yes, I know that several publishers like O'Reilly has moved from XSL-FO
to CSS. And eBook publisher will have lots of requests for CSS because
epub stand on the HTML5 technology. However I have basic question. What
is the *MOST* fundamental benefit of CSS technology comparing XSL-FO in
paged media?

If an paper media and eBook media coexists for the moment, is CSS most
suitable for this situation?

I have been engaged developing stylesheets that converts various XML
documents into XSL-FO. I know that there are many challenges left in
automatic document formatting world. So I think it is not a good news
for the XSL-FO users that W3C stop developing XSL2.0.

Regards,