xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Representing EBCDIC code 37 in xslt

2013-12-30 14:15:14
a kusa <akusa8(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

[…]

Well, I have <xsl:output encoding> set to utf-8 right now.  If I set
it to EBCDIC, then the rest of the content in the XML converts to
gibberish.

        Which is expected, if you view an EBCDIC-encoded XML file with
        an application that assumes ASCII-based encoding.  Try to upload
        the resulting file using FTP /binary/ mode to the mainframe and
        check if the file is still unreadable /there./

        (Alternatively, or perhaps complementarily, use an
        EBCDIC-capable application to view the resulting file locally.)

Thats what I meant.

I only need the special characters -esp. Latin-1 characters like the
plusminus sign, to convert to the right EBCDIC code.

I have a java program that FTPs the file; I believe the default is
ASCII.

        There /may/ be a problem if /either/ this program or the FTP
        server assume that the input is ASCII, because the characters
        such as PLUS-MINUS SIGN are /not/ representable in ASCII.

        One solution is to configure either the FTP client or FTP server
        to /correctly/ convert UTF-8 to EBCDIC.  The other is to
        configure the XSLT implementation (with <xsl:output />) to
        output EBCDIC, and send the result to the target host /without/
        any encoding conversion (i. e., using FTP binary mode.)

--
FSF associate member #7257