xsl-list

Re: [xsl] except (was: Keys with duplicates should be simple)

2014-02-03 02:16:46

On 3 Feb 2014, at 07:18, Ihe Onwuka <ihe(_dot_)onwuka(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

If indeed except is equivalent to the set-theoretic difference
operator would it be beyond the pale to admit difference into the
syntax as a synonym for except.

You haven't answered my post in which I attempted to show that the XPath usage
of "except" was consistent with the natural language use of the term.

I think that using "difference" would confuse an awful lot of people who would
assume, without reading the spec, that it meant magnitude difference (e.g.
subtract, or date difference).

Michael Kay
Saxonica