xsl-list

Re: [xsl] When to use conditional constructions?

2014-03-31 22:54:08
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 05:58:53PM +0100, Michael Kay scripsit:
<xsl:template
match="section[user:isNormalSection(.)]">...</xsl:template>

and so on seems heavy and expensive compared to effectively a macro
language for predicates

I can't see why. I think you'll have trouble coming up with a macro
syntax that's as readable and concise; and there's no reason to assume
that function calls are expensive (a decent processor should be able
to expand the function call inline if it's simple enough to make that
worth doing).

That's good to know.

I certainly don't especially *want* new syntax, I want to avoid having
to use that kind of horrible, horrible predicate again.

But of course XML has a macro notation as well, called entity
references, and I've seen that used to good effect in XSLT.

True.  Never occurred to me to try entities in a predicate, but
(presuming a good way to define them all) that would work, too.

Thanks!
Graydon