xsl-list

[xsl] Why does my streaming program hang when the input is a streaming web site ?

2014-06-07 08:51:02
Hi Folks,

This web site emits a continuous stream of XML:

http://xmpp.wordpress.com:8008/firehose.xml?type=text/plain

(Neat! Thanks George!)

You can open a browser and plug in that URL to see the XML. The XML is a stream
of Atom <entry> elements inside a <stream> root element.

I have created a simple XSLT program which connects to that web site and
outputs the value of each Atom <title> element. Below is my XSLT program. When
I run the XSLT program from a DoS command line I get nothing - it just hangs
forever. I am using the latest version of Saxon (9.1.5j). Here's how I run it
from the command line:

java saxon9ee.jar -o:Titles.html test.xml Show-Titles.xsl

Any thoughts on why the command line hangs and I get no output?

Here is my XSLT program:

                xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
                version="3.0">

    <xsl:output method="html" />

    <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:stream
href="http://xmpp.wordpress.com:8008/firehose.xml?type=text/plain";>
                    <xsl:for-each
select="stream/atom:entry/atom:source/atom:title">
                    </xsl:for-each>
        </xsl:stream>
    </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>