xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Why does my streaming program hang when the input is a streaming web site ?

2014-06-10 09:11:27
On 6/10/2014 5:55 AM, Abel Braaksma (Exselt) abel(_at_)exselt(_dot_)net wrote:

But this is in conflict with another rule. A processor is not allowed to
create a non-valid principal output document (it is allowed to do this
with result-document though, as in the case of failure or interruption).
So either it must write all (when successfully processed whole stream)
or nothing (in case of error/interruption).
I wasn't aware of this rule, but strictly speaking it's impossible to achieve given normal file I/O behavior, even when the entire document is buffered in memory before writing. Writes happen sequentially, so there will certainly be incomplete intermediate file states which may be readable by other processes, depending on operating system rules. It seems to me that as a practical matter it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time worrying about it, though, and it's not really a good justification for buffering on its own. I hope that streaming processors will feel free to write intermediate results as needed; perhaps a <xsl:flush /> instruction wouldn't be amiss, either :)

-Mike