xsl-list

Re: [xsl] following-sibling is evil

2014-07-06 12:36:12
On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:34:28 -0000
"Costello, Roger L. costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org"

[for each book]

following-sibling::Book[Title eq $currentAuthor][Genre eq $currentGenre][1]

As I understand it, an XPath processor will evaluate that XPath expression
like so:

Step 1. Gather up all the following sibling Book elements. Let's denote the
resulting set by S1.

Step 2. Filter S1 by eliminating those Books that don't satisfy this
predicate: [Title eq $currentAuthor]. Let's denote the resulting set by S2.

Step 3. Filter S2 by eliminating those Books that don't satisfy this
predicate: [Genre eq $currentGenre]. Let's denote the resulting set by S3.

Step 4. Filter S3 by eliminating all Books except the first.

Do I correctly understand how an XPath processor will evaluate the XPath
expression?

No - it depends on the engine. An XQuery engine (even running XSLT) is likely
to have a database and might start with Genre[. eq $currentGenre]/parent:Book
to generate a list of Book elements and then Title[. eq
$currentAuthor]/parent::Bool (which probably won't match anything unless you
have a lot of biographies by authors represented in the collection), and then
do a join on the result. At any rate I've seen such strategies discussed.

However, it is no surprise that the sibling axis should encounter evil, since
Jesus said, Get thee behind me Satan.

Liam

XML Blog: http://people.w3.org/~liam/blog/