xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===

2014-08-05 02:40:07
Yeah, but the long can be extended... It doesn't matter anymore. Xqib is dead.

E-S4L

On Aug 5, 2014, at 2:48 AM, "Ihe Onwuka
ihe(_dot_)onwuka(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com

Question:

Why does it seem xslt is favorite over xQuery?

You might get different answers on a different list.... But I do think it's
true that XSLT continues to have much wider usage than XQuery.

I think the reason for that is primarily that people want to do
transformation (which retains most of the information in a document, but in
different form) rather than query (which extracts small amounts of
information from a document).

Although XQuery is capable of doing transformation, XSLT is better at it for
two reasons:

(a) the built-in rule-based processing model using template rules

(b) the customization capability provided by xsl:import

neither of which have any parallel in XQuery.

XQuery is much better at doing complex joins, but that's not the kind of
processing people are mostly doing.

I like XSLT for outer joins and variants thereof using something that XQuery
doesn't have xsl:key

<xsl:key name="mykey" match="movie" use="@title"/>
<xsl:variable name="doc2" select="doc(doc2.xml)"/>

<xsl:template match="movie[key('mykey',@title,$doc2)"/>
<xsl:template match="movie">
    ....process unmatched movies
</xsl:template>