xsl-list

Re: [xsl] performance benefits of XSL3.0

2016-04-19 14:07:56
On 19.04.2016 20:28, Mailing Lists Mail daktapaal(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com wrote:

We are in a business of processing xmls and these come in big loads.
some of them running real big. We have application that needs to convert
these incoming XMLS into our internal XMLs and persist the data. We use
XSLT as our transformation layer. We are totally convinced we need XSLT
to carry out our job , obviously because of the ease of coding and the
powerful language constructs of xslt. Off late we have noticed that the
XSLT has contributed hugely to the large processing times.

We are using Sax parsers to chop the big XMLs into meaning ful chuncks
and process each of these chunks in parallel .and we use XSLT2 and saxon
to process the individual chunks.

My question here is, if I shift to XSLT3 and do not change my code, will
it still give me any performance benefits over the XSLT2 . I understand
that the XSLT3 has a slightly different approach to XSLT programming (
losing certain axe etc.). Will the xslt3 processor read the input xml in
a different way?

XSLT 3.0 is backwards compatible with XSLT 2.0, there are additional
features that you can use, like xsl:stream or xsl:mode streamable="yes"
for instance to handle very large input documents, but if you don't
change your XSLT code then the processing model is not different.

---