xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XPath to test that a middle name consists of a letter followed by a period and nothing else ?

2016-06-02 08:47:43
I published my first book (Tolkien: Roncevaux, Ethandune, and Middle-earth) as
L. Douglas Rudder, Jr. When it first came out on Amazon, Barnes and Noble,
etc., my name appeared as a jumbled mess. Apparently first initials, full
middle names, and suffixes together play havoc with some systems.

A flurry of emails later, it was resolved on most bookseller sites, but it took
about a month to untangle.

Douglas Rudder
Business Analyst
Clinical Drug Information: Facts & Comparisons|Lexicomp|Medi-Span

Main: 855-633-0577
Direct: 314.392.0067

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam R. E. Quin liam(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
[mailto:xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:36 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath to test that a middle name consists of a letter
followed by a period and nothing else ?

On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 11:39 +0000, Costello, Roger L.
costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org wrote:
Hi Folks,

Here is an example of a valid middle initial:

      <MI>H.</MI>

Others have comented on the expression. I'll note that as someone with two
middle initials I've more than once had problems doing business in the USA -
with large companies. One US bank that I use requires one middle initial and
that my home bank account be in exactly the same name in order to be able to
transfer money, so I ended up changing my home bacnk account to have an "alias"
in the end.

Hence, allow zero or more middle initial elements.

But you know, you should trust people to enter their names. They know the rules
for them better than you do, even if you don't want to do business with e.e.
cummings or people from countries where lower case or an apostrophe or an
accented character might start a name.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam(_at_)w3(_dot_)org>
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)