xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XPath to test that a middle name consists of a letter followed by a period and nothing else ?

2016-06-02 13:06:02
Perhaps. But this didn’t look like questioning the requirement, it
looked like denouncing it. There is a difference between “here is
how to do what you asked for, are you sure that is what you want
your code to do because …” and “your requirement is evil”.

It seems to me that “are you sure that is what you want your code to
do” is reasonable, responsible, and helpful. I think name calling in
response to a business requirement is unhelpful.

— Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML

On Jun 2, 2016, at 1:50 PM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com

NOT Agreed: this isn't about political correctness, it's about software
design correctness.

And it's about professionalism. I believe that a professional engineer should
not provide the right answer to the wrong question without first challenging
it, and that applies on this list as much as in real life.

Michael Kay
Saxonica