xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Adding entity declarations to DOCTYPE in xml output

2019-02-27 15:43:47
Hey Liam,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:12 AM Liam R. E. Quin
liam(_at_)fromoldbooks(_dot_)org
If XML had (like HTML) been without an inclusion mechanism of its own,
solutions like XInclude woudlwould have happened sooner. The barely
adequate discourages the excellent.

Too true. There are tradeoffs even to the tradeoffs.

A problem with entities is that they are in the syntactic domain rather
than representing relationships.

Indeed indeed. They stand between us and the parse.

Yet I find the same thing to be true of all these so-called static
site generators, which work entirely by tag-patching, and think we
have still not come far enough. The bad old thing keeps getting
reinvented even after we have better. It makes me sad to have
beautiful clean data coming out of my process and hear them say, do
you think we could have it in Markdown?

Cheers, Wendell