xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Does XQuery allow you to modify the XML? (remove elements, modify element values)

2019-10-18 10:51:55
BaseX had an XSLT module, so you can use both methods where appropriate.
By default, it uses Java XSLT 1.0, but if you drop Saxon into /lib, it will use
that and give you XSLT 2 and 3.

I’m using (WIP) RESTXQ and typeswitch to dispatch on document root node to XSLT
transform for that document type. You can also easily chain transforms
together, and I’m trying to use this separate local customizations and branding
to separate transforms. This also allows preprocessing to deal with namespaces
schema based documents vs non-namespaces DTD based docs, or other version
differences ( TEI P4 vs P5  ) with a normalization/conversion step. You can
also easily mix XSLT transforms and XQuery functions in a chain.   I’m also
looking at trying to use Query to access sections of document ( like chapters )
and to use XSLT to transform to HTML instead of transforming complete document.

— Steve M.

On Oct 17, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Adam Retter
adam(_dot_)retter(_at_)googlemail(_dot_)com

Yes, you can either write a type-switch transformation in XQuery to
create a new document by filtering the content of your original
document, or you could use XQuery Update if your processor supports
it.

For typeswitches, this might be useful -
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Typeswitch_Transformations
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Typeswitch_Transformations>

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 16:55, Costello, Roger L.
costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org <mailto:costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org>
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
<mailto:xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>> wrote:

Hi Folks,

It's been a long time since I've looked at XQuery.

I need to identify certain elements in XHTML documents and then either
remove the elements or modify their values. Can XQuery do this? Are there
fee XQuery tools?

XHTML --> XQuery --> XHTML' (a modified version of the input XHTML document)

/Roger

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter