xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Is there an XSLT/XPath processor good enough to use in life-critical applications?

2019-11-15 15:53:25

I think the odds of getting an incorrect answer from a mature XPATH/XSLT
processor is very tiny — especially compared to the odds of programming it
incorrectly and getting the requested XPATHs wrong. However, having once worked
on fault tolerant systems, I can say that the only way to engineer fault
tolerance is thru redundancy (*) .
So if it’s really important, I would suggest you use two completely different
implementations and compare the results.  However, that still doesn’t address
misprogramming both processors, which is the more likely source of error.

(*) I usually phrase that as “redundancy, redundancy, redundancy” , referring
to the three types of redundancy.

— Steve Majewski

On Nov 15, 2019, at 4:22 PM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com

Are you using XSLT/XPath in a life-critical application such as controlling
a nuclear power plant or controlling an aircraft flight system?

Another observation on this: those are the classic examples of
safety-critical systems that everyone uses. But boring administrative
systems, like one that sends letters to patients telling them when their next
cervical smear test is due, are also safety-critical. Probably more deaths
are caused by failures in that kind of system than by failures in systems
where the consequences of failure are more immediate.

WHO report 2016: "A study of reported errors from five family practices in a
high-income country found that most reports contained administrative errors
and more than three-quarters had the potential of serious harm".

So let's change the question: Are you using XSLT/XPath in a life-critical
application such as sending appointment letters to hospital patients?

Michael Kay
Saxonica

email <>)