xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xmlns in the root element prevents transformation

2020-07-23 17:17:28
Failing to appreciate the implications of a namespace declaratoin in the source
document is probably the most common source of XSLT questions on StackOverflow
- if you search there for "XSLT default namespace" you will find at least 600
questions from people who have fallen into this trap. It's particularly
invidious beccause (a) the symptoms of the failure are usually wrong results
rather than any kind of error, and there's nothing in the wrong results that
hints at a namespace problem, and (b) many people try to pick up XSLT from very
elementary tutorials that only handle the simplest of constructs, and leave out
any discussion of namespaces as if they are somehow an advanced feature that
you don't need to worry about until later.

It's also invidious because although the problem was recognised very early on,
it's proved impossible to fix without creating backwards compability problems.
The xpath-default-namespace attribute in XSLT 2.0 helps, but only if you know
what the problem is and know that you need to use it. In Saxon I've been
experimenting with another solution, which is for bare unqualified names in the
stylesheet to match elements in any namespace or none - but for conformance
reasons, that option can't be the default, so beginners still fall straight
into the trap. I've also tried heuristics that attempt to detect when users are
falling into the trap (specifically, when a namespace is used in the source
document and isn't declared in the stylesheet) but I fear that users who don't
even know that these peculiar xmlns things are called namespaces find the
message incomprehensible and ignore it.

If the source document has a namespace declaration then it changes the names of
the elements, and if your stylesheet is trying to match elements by name then
they won't match unless you get the namespace right. So understanding this is
absolutely fundamental.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 23 Jul 2020, at 21:55, Manuel Souto Pico terminolator(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

I think I can answer myself.

The stylesheet needs to have the version hardcoded in the root element, at
least from what I can tell, like
xpath-default-namespace="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2", and it must
be the same version as the input XML files.

Cheers, Manuel

Manuel Souto Pico <terminolator(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:terminolator(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>> escreveu no dia quinta,
23/07/2020 à(s) 21:11:
Dear all,

This transformation gives me an empty output file:
https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/gVhEaiQ
<https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/gVhEaiQ>

However, if I remove the xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2 bit
from the XLIFF root node, then it works.

Could somebody help me understand why that happens?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Manuel
XSL-List info and archive <http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list>
email <>)