xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

2020-11-11 17:35:55
 I don't know how FP purists model this, but it seems to me that the
content of a web page is a function of two things: the URL, and the time

This is the view of the *InternetArchive* <https://archive.org/web/>, but
this is also too simplistic. What about load-balancers, caches and
replicas, just to name a few? It is possible that two instances of the same
Http request, issued at the same moment may result in different responses,
based on the issuer's location, topology of the network (routers etc.), the
decision of the load balancer, the existence of mirror-sites, the state of
database (backups and restores), ..., etc., etc...

The fact that the relationship (excluding time and other factors, to make
it as simple as possible) URL ==> Response is not a 1:1 relationship, means
that there are classes of equivalence (of URLs) such that for any URL
belonging to a given class of equivalence, the response is the same.

We are not to know, generally, what exactly these classes are -- this is
the hidden semantics of the designated Http resource.

Isn't trying to produce a deterministic SendHttpRequest function, just
wishful thinking?

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 2:35 PM Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com <