Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-02 17:47:11
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 22:27 +0000, John Levine wrote:

PDF is a fine display format, but it is a rather poor editing format
since it's hard to do any more with PDF (even PDF/A) than either to
print it or to extract the text from it.  XML on the other hand is a
putrid display format but it is easy to edit and is coded in ASCII so
even if the tools decay the document is still recoverable.  I would
say that the alternative to ASCII would be a pair of documents, RFC
2629 XML input and PDF output, with the PDF being optional since it
should be possible to regenerate it mechanically from the XML.

Word is of course out of the question since it is proprietary,
undocumented, and unstable.  I hope we have consensus on that.

Agreed.

The input draft should be in the form of XML converted to display
formats of PDF, HTML, or plain text.  Would Unicode need to be excluded
from the Plain Text version of the draft?  Would the plain text version
be dropped?  With XML, there could be elements that allow different
character repertoires that can be excluded from the plain text version.

-Doug