RE: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-06 17:47:32
Bob,

        State Diagrams is a bad example.  State machines can, and
should always be, described definitively in text.  State machine
diagrams must be derived from textual description.  Consequently,
if we want to create a document with a pictorial representation,
that document could contain normative references to a document
containing a textual description and not the other way around.

        Being able to put both in the same document and have that
document be authoritative would be a plus, provided we could be
sure that everyone could read that document.

        Perhaps a better example might be complex functional block
diagrams.  Or mathematical expressions as someone else pointed
out earlier.

        If your point is that there are things that are painfully
hard to represent in text, obviously that is true - although we
have had several people argue that this is a good thing, most
of the time.

--
Eric