Re: Binary choices, polling and so on (Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus")

2006-01-07 07:22:04
On 01/07/2006 09:02 AM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand allegedly wrote:
That said... I like opinion polls, of various forms, and use them
frequently (some would say "too frequently"... I guess I've demonstrated
most of the bad sides of opinion polls over the years...).

a useful function

In the good cases, they allow us to quickly and clearly distinguish the
pattern of opponents and proponents. In the bad case, they confirm what
we already knew - that the group is deadlocked and unable to make a
decision.

that too

That's the time to pull out Ted Hardie's RFC 3929 and look for some
alternate methods - majority voting isn't listed there, and for good
reason.