Re: Normative figures

2006-01-09 22:09:02

Yes.  And, if we're talking about wanting to make the figures
normative, I assume we are talking about a specification.  In
that case, it is far more important that the description MUST be precise, than it is that it MAY be convenient.

Please can we clarify the existing rules:

For a standards track document is it technically acceptable to provide:

A .pdf that is complete (but is non-normative under current rules)

plus

An ASCII text in which the background material refers to figures in the
.pdf  but which contains the essential normative statements.

i.e. Is a standards track RFC approvable when it is correct in the technical
sense, even if it is almost incomprehensible without the text, figures and
equations from its non-normative twin.

- Stewart