Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-10 06:59:52
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:09:10AM -0500, Brian Rosen wrote:
It's trivial for a human, but not for a computer.
Many things trivial for humans are not trivial for computers.

The kind of harvesting you are talking about is trivial for a human from any
format as long as your editor can paste while losing formatting.

What we are seeing is increasing use of fully automated tools that don't
have humans identifying which octets are MIB and which are code.  You can't
do that with plain ASCII.

True.  So what?  Do you think that it is possible, or even a good
idea, that tools be able to rip out a MIB without reading the rest of
the text?  If so, why the heck do we spend so much time working on a
the human-readable sections, like Security Considerations?

And how much time does it really save to have an automated tool pull
out the MIB, instead of having a human do it?  And what percentage of
the effort does that represent out of the effort to create a product,
anyway?  0.0001%   0.00001%?

I can usually do it in under a minute with some emacs macros, but I'm
willing to admit that I may be a bit better at it than others.  Other
people could probably do it in a few minutes using sed and awk, or
even (gasp) perl.

                                                - Ted