Re: [Geopriv] Re: Last Call: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

2006-01-19 16:29:52
"Henning" == Henning Schulzrinne <hgs(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>
writes:

    >>  2) Inadequate context for use:
    >>
    >> The document does not make reference to RPID, except in
    >> "acknowledgement". Thus, it has to be interpreted as
    >> stand-alone, and must contain its own guidance. RPID states:
    >>

    >> These things guide the usage of place-types in RPID, but cannot
    >> be found from the registry document.
    >>

    Henning> Since usage will strongly depend on the context and since
    Henning> this registry is not limited to RPID, I think this would
    Henning> belong into RPID (or other documents), not the registry.

    >> This document SHOULD give guidance for usage, saying at least:
    >>
    >> - whether it's intended that several of these values can be
    >> used together

    Henning> I'd assume yes, in general, but defining that seems to be
    Henning> the role of the protocol using these elements, not a
    Henning> registry.

    Henning> I think of the registry like a dictionary. A dictionary
    Henning> does not define which words you can use together.

Here I think is the crux of the problem.  The IETF and IANA should not
be in the business of creating dictionaries.

The document under discussion creates a named set of place
descriptions.

There is no guidance given on how this information should be used, why
you would want this registry or what constraints should be placed on
it.

That's a big problem.  First, there are likely to be concerns that
matter to almost all uses of the registry.  It's desirable to require
using applications to consider these concerns and probably even to
describe how they handle the concerns.

Another reason not giving guidance is problematic has to do with
different assumptions about how the registry is used.  Some
applications may assume that there will be a small number of entries
in the registry.  That's fine until someone comes along and say
registers all the different major food chains with presence in more
than one country.

One application may assume that location is single valued; another may
have multi-valued location.  These applications will expect different
things from the registry.

Even when we've tried to have guidance for registries we've run into
problems.  Witness the recent debate about whether RTP and MIME should
use the same media type registry.

As such, with my AD hat off, I do not support publication of an RFC
that establishes a dictionary for place names I would probably support
publication of an RFC that established a well-coped place name
registry for some purpose.  I'd want to limit the size of the registry
for localization reasons.

--Sam