Re: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-22 13:36:25
Hello;

I received some private comments, so I will respond in greater depth. Please be careful what you ask for.

In doing so, I reread IETF list traffic on this from last September / October last year, and also the complaint.

So, here goes. First, I am aware of how disrupting posters can be. I remember one individual who posted incessantly on IPv8 on a WG list, another who hacked one of my organization's DNS servers just because I dared to question the validity of alternative roots in a post. And, I came out in favor of the 3683'ing of Dean Anderson. So, I am not an automatic no vote.

However, I feel in a case such as this, things are a little different from technical standards setting. You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts. While technical standards are largely based on facts, in a case such as this opinions come into play. If I say that the protocol "foo" should be rejected because it has a serious technical problem, you are entitled to ask what this problem is. My opinion, by itself, is not enough. On the other hand, if I say that I don't feel that poster "Ydobon" is disruptive, that is, in a sense, not arguable. It is like saying that I dislike the cookies served at the break at an IETF meeting. You may like them, others may like them, but giving me lists of these people or of reasons why I should like them is not going to change my mind.

Note the difference here, and the reason why I feel that a simple statement of agreement or disagreement is sufficient :

If there is a fatal technical problem with a proposal, taking a vote of who likes that proposal is irrelevant.

If we want to decide if people like the snacks at the break, providing lists of reasons why they should like them
is irrelevant.

Of course, in very close or tough cases, or particularly egregious ones, other things may come into play. For example, if the cookies are poisoned, people shouldn't eat them, even if everyone raves about them.

I feel that banishment is a severe punishment, severe enough that I think the conduct should be extremely bad to warrant it. That is my feeling; others may differ, but there it is. Under the category of extremely bad behavior, RFC 3683 says

   Although not exhaustive,
   examples of abusive or otherwise inappropriate postings to IETF
   mailing lists include:

   o  unsolicited bulk e-mail;

   o  discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings,
      activities, or technical concerns;

o unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject; and,

   o  announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
      sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

To these, I would add, threats, insults, and the like.

Note that these are (again, in my opinion) not of equal weight. If Mr. Ydobon
sends to the list once a message beginning

RE:TRANSFER OF USD 168,559,000.00 MILLION TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

(actually received by me yesterday), I would say he's gone. If he threatens death to those who disagree, ditto. But, for "discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings, activities, or technical concerns", I have very occasionally posted jokes to this list, as have others, and I would hope not to be banned for one occasion.

Now, to the case at hand. I read this list, and I do not feel that Mr. Morfin has been disrupting it, nor have I seen any egregious attacks, insults, etc. That's just my opinion, but there it is, and that is the basis of my previous statements.

However, maybe he has been doing bad stuff on other lists; that, after all, is part of the complaint. So, not being paid to do this, I looked at the complaints and singled out two of the six :

[5]

Personal attack, IETF-languages list:

http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-June/ 003369.html

Personal attack and threats, LTRU list:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03788.html

I regard personal attacks as really egregious, and threats as worse; even one might certainly be enough to warrant banning.

So, what do I see ?

In http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-June/ 003369.html I see a first paragraph that I cannot parse at all, and a lot of other verbiage that I am not qualified to
judge on technical grounds, but nothing I see as an attack.

Ok, in the second, http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/ msg03788.html
I am going to quote all of JFC's postings, with
tme> being a comment from me.

-----
> Cannot it be the result of a DISCUSS?
> I may be wrong, but from the debate it seems we have a lack of
> clarity concerning the "private use" possibilities between mentors of
> this WGý (I agree with the "qsi" comment given by Harald).ý

IMO, the pros and cons of using private use code or metadata elements are reasonably understood generally but must be considered specifically in the context of a given application context. All we are doing is providing tags and a spec for certain ways to compare tags; we are not telling people tags must be used in some derivate protocol or application. Section 4.5 does give general guidance about the limitations of private-use tags, including the caveats that Harald mentioned:

<quote>
Private use subtags have no meaning outside the private agreement between the parties that intend to use or exchange language tags that employ them. The same subtags MAY be used with a different meaning under a separate private agreement. They SHOULD NOT be used where alternatives exist and SHOULD NOT be used in content or protocols intended for general use.
</quote>

That is the kind of thing that's appropriate to put in *that* document. If the MPAA or MPEG groups need to discuss specific implications of using "qsi" in their protocols and advice implementers of the potential concerns of exposing that to other systems, that's *their* problem, not ours.

Dear Peter,
This response is the response to the question below.

- who is the "ours" you quote? This is IETF not Unicode: it is not meant to deliberately ignore MPAA, MPEG, etc. like requests, nore the generic ISO 11179 compliant needs, all them represented by AFRAC whose job is to interface them all. Our (as IETF) is to support "*their*" problem (which incidently is mine).

- the failure of the document is that if it partly permits to support private agreements such as MPAA or MPEG or AFRAC, but it makes that capacity useless in providing no way to document which private agreement is being used. This leads to the conflicts described by Harald and denies the need of the Common Reference Centers like AFRAC to support them all. This is an organised DoS. And you just documented it. Thank you.

tme>It is not clear to me who he is saying is doing a DOS, but I do not regard that as an actionable insult.
tme>I don't see any others.

> Dont you think it is better to accept a simple half additional line
> and permit to address all these tricky cases one shot (in just
> permitting to indicate the private space of exchange where the added
> information applies) rather than in re-chartering, wasting months,
> etc. to universally address a limited number of local cases. Will
> this will never end? Or is there a major reason I do not understand
> demanding it.

That's what we're all wondering: will this ever end?

Frankly? I do not know. Some with serious annoyance capacity for your employer talk of three to five years and of the justice obligation to support "0-". This is beyond me anyway. Your decision: they wanted to kill the project, but they are slow. We shown them we could manage in "0-" with ":" and "." and undetermined length.

There's not another half line of text needed in RFC3066bis to discuss this. What's really needed is already there.

This is a sales pitch for the unique solution you want to impose (to favor the Charter quoted Unicode CLDR proposition?) Impeaching private solutions and competition? No well accepted. After all, this is your problem to pay lawyers.

tme> Hard to read, but I cannot conclude he is threatening legal action.

We've all had opportunity to review it, comment on it and suggest changes to it, and the time for that has passed.

Not this with me, please. People are reading!

This process must and will end; the rest of us are pushing for closure

The IETF mechanic calls for a few months more. Should some at the IESG do not realise how much your proposition is detrimental to their own corporation (as an example of the way it is detrimental to everyone) there will be appeals - I may or not be involved (I start being bored and my work is building your competition). Then there will be political and legal actions.

tme> Again, hard to read, but I cannot conclude HE is threatening legal action, he is predicting it, a
tme> very different matter.

You really misjudged my opposition. I was here only to help with QA for consumer protection. I proposed you to cooperate several times. Now I can only wish you personal good luck if the RFC is eventually approved by the IAB.

But you seem to want to drag it out longer for the sake of a half line that will supposedly address in one shot all kinds of tricky problems that supposed are not yet addressed -- except AFAICT they are addressed.

Repeating this does not make you any good, nor to your employer: people are reading.

When all this is finished ten years from now, I will have you for lunch. I will explain you what you did wrong for

tme> Is this the threat ? I don't think he is threatening cannibalism. It sounds like a friendly
tme> invitation to me.

your employer.
jfc

-----
So, in my sample picked for "Personal attack and threats", I see no threats, and really no attacks either. It is hard to read, and may not be worth reading, but is not actionable IMHO.

So, after all of this waste of my time and yours, I am now STRONGLY against approval of this PR-action.

Regards
Marshall

P.S. IETF-announce removed from this thread.