RE: how to declare consensus when someone ignores consensus

2006-01-23 12:00:00
Ned,

        It is certainly fair to say that implementors do participate
in mailing list discussions, and that their participation is very
valuable.  However, many times the number of participants that are
"active" (read - vocal) are those that "lurk" and it is my opinion
- supported by observation of, and discussion with, implementors at
a number of different companies - that the proportion of lurkers
that are implementors is somewhat higher than the proportion of
active participants that are also implementors.  I am also of the
opinion that for each participant (either lurker or active), there
are many implementors that participate "vicariously" through those
others in their organization who are more disposed to participate.

        The number of implementors that do not - therefore - actively
particpate in IETF working groups is many times the number that do
- and this would clearly look to many people (especially to an out-
sider) as if implementors are too busy implementing to participate
in mailing list discussions.

--
Eric