Re: how to declare consensus when someone ignores consensus

From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com>

nick(_dot_)staff(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net wrote:

Can you imagine if during every murder trial they had a debate on the
humanity of capitol punishment?

As a non-US citizen, I am a little hazy about some details of the US
legal system. Do I assume that this punishment requires the malefactor
to sit through a set period of congressional filibusters?

I look forwards to a Supreme Court ruling outlawing it as a cruel and
unusual punishment.

yeah I couldnt agree more.  Capitol punishment is barbaric and cruel and the
action of vindictive people.  Odd though that you assumed I was saying that the
use of capitol punishment needed to be defended instead of that the prevention
of it needed to be ensured.  Either way capitol punishment was an analogy and
whatever country you hail from I'm sure my point applies the same.  My point,
if you are interested, was that if the penalty for a crime had to be redecided
during every trial then trials would take forever and choke an already
bottlenecked system.  If you can see the parralel to our current situation
where once again we debate the breadth and extent of PR-Action policy while
we're in the middle of trying to apply it.  It's half-assed and juvenile and
disorderly to the point of embarrasment.  The mature voices are few and far
between so we're left with a childish melee that would lose us the respect of
any grown-up professional who saw it.  It's become a romper room !
 and it's an embarrasment.