Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-07 13:34:02
I have to congratulate you on one of the most subtle
proposals to destroy the Internet that I have seen
in a long time.  More on that in a moment.

Maybe you should read and understand the proposal before commenting on it.  I
realize that it's difficult to actually
be sure you understand a single sentence before writing
several paragraphs - but hey, it's not much to ask.
(hint: It doesn't affect ICANN or the root servers at all.)

So who's going to explain to the Vatican that, sorry,
pope(_at_)va doesn't work any more?  Or will the US take
issue when addresses @as, which is part of the US,
don't work?  Or France about @gp and @mq, which are
as much part of France as Hawaii is part of the US?

I'd be very surprised if any of these work as-is, with any reliability.  They
certainly won't work for email.  The assumption that fully qualified domain
names contain at least one '.' is widespread in both protocol specifications
and implementations.

I'm impressed, it never occurred to me that one could
cause this much damage with such an arcane change to
name resolution.

If you can cite verifiable evidence that even a single case that works reliably
now, will cease to work, I'll concede that there is at least a hint of merit to
your argument.   e.g. an actual email address or URL that uses a single-label
domain name.

Keith