Re: About IETF communication skills

2008-07-31 23:40:52
At 5:32 PM -0400 7/31/08, Keith Moore wrote:
I suppose the headline might have been chosen by an editor.

If you understand the press so little as to start that sentence with "I suppose", you might reconsider the validity of the rest of your attack.

The article in question, <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/072108-ipv6nat.html>, directly quotes Fred Baker, Russ Housley, Alain Durand, and Geoff Huston. How many IETF-related articles in other magazines bother quoting more than one person, normally someone who is trying to promote an Internet Draft? How many discuss competing proposals, including giving the history of the topic?

Folks: please review all of the IETF-related articles in the IT trade press from the past five years. Discard the articles that say "the IETF is considering Foo" when in fact someone had submitted a -00 draft. The very small pile that remains, including interviews with our leadership about where they think the IETF is going and in-depth articles comparing multiple contenders being considered in IETF areas, are mostly written by Carolyn Duffy Marsan.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium