Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 13:09:43

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Given that the argument for /ex/clusiveness pertains to competence at
rendering judgment about IETF leadership candidates, can you explain why
lowering the bar helps produce better leadership selection?

Because from my own experience, I've demonstrated the bar has minimal
correlation with the reality of exposure to the IETF.

Secondly, I don't see this as lowering anything but a financial bar. For
an open organization, minimizing the bars to participation is actually
a better approach.

If the objective is to provide multiple tier participation, like some
country clubs, then be upfront and offer payment of a participation fee as
an open alternative. .... Say $3000 in lieu of meeting attendance and
$15000 to bypass the random selection associated with Nomcom memmbership
and say $100,000 for direct appointment to the IESG?

If someone truly believes they are qualified to serve on the NomCom with
a day pass rather than full meeting fee, and is willing to sign up for the
work, etc. The are likely to be as helpful to the process as some of the
very contentious, well established long term participants who happen to
have the 3 full paid meeting requirement met.

Dave Morris