Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-15 16:40:27

On 15 Sep 2010, at 22:09, Michael Dillon wrote:
Perhaps some additional effort needs to be made to provide guidance
to attendees so that, for instance, everyone attending a Maastricht
event knows that there is a free bus pass, it is 5 minutes to a choice
of restaurants, someone has tested it during the lunch break hours
and it is an easy round trip without being late, and so on.

Given the number of IETF attendees[1] I repeatedly saw at the bus stops that
were visible from one of the MECC & Hotel entrances I think the free bus pass
was advertised pretty well, OK I think the timetables were only in Dutch but
I'm sure the Concierge could have assisted and as mentioned all the drivers
(and every Dutch person I've ever met) spoke good English.

One suggestion for Beijing where the level of English with bus/taxi drivers etc
will be low maybe to publish a page linked from the main meeting page with
something like "Can you please take me to the Shangri-La Hotel" in Chinese so
attendees can just print it out and hand it to the driver when they land at the
airport (although a quick search reveals many free online translators I suspect
this could catch a few people out).

[1] At least enough people to fill two buses.

Ben