Re: Issues relating to managing a mailing list...

2012-03-15 10:44:34
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 09:47:57AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
Borrowing a bit from Randy, the solution to really large
attachments is to ban them.  Personally, I'd find it perfectly
reasonable to have any message in the megabyte range or above
(or probably even an order of magnitude smaller) rejected with a
message that amounted to "if you have that much to say, write an
I-D, post it, and point to it".  [...]

If people want to use up part of their maximum size quota by
posting html in addition to text, or appending long disclaimers
or autobiographies, that shouldn't the community's problem.

I strong concur with all points (including those elided).  Attachments
which are in open formats and of modest size are often useful; those
which are in closed formats and of enormous size tend not to be.

---rsk