Re: Request for a code point assignment for ED25519 - draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01

2014-04-10 07:15:49
Hi Jari,
At 03:12 10-04-2014, Jari Arkko wrote:
SSH is obviously important and I am a long-term OpenSSH user myself :-) And I also happen to believe in timely registration of values in registries, particularly when there is running code.

I am also an OpenSSH user. :-)  I wrote the draft because of the code.

I looked at the draft and it seems fine, ready to move forward. I do not personally have any knowledge about ED25519 and I cannot say whether it is something that we should be using in IETF standards. Stephen seems to think that waiting a bit to get an opinion from the crypto experts would be useful. What is your opinion on that, SM? What about others, do you have an opinion? And SM, do you have an idea how soon we need an answer for the implementations to usefully employ the allocated number?

The draft is intended as Informational. I would not argue that what is in the draft is an IETF standard. I suggested to Stephen to start the Last Call as it would take a month. That does not prevent the gathering of input from folks who do crypto.

It is usually good to get more opinions from crypto experts. I did some research before writing the draft to determine whether there were any concerns. I did not find anything noteworthy.

From a code point request perspective a possible outcome would be to deny the request. It is a problem when a registry does not reflect what is used in the wild. I am okay with having disclaimer text in the draft (I'll defer to Stephen). The code was not included in the last release (March). Note that I am not one of the person who gets to decide about code release. I could provide feedback saying, for example, that there will be a (IETF) decision about the code point request by end of May.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy