Re: Proposed IESG structure change

2014-10-09 21:43:15
On 10/10/2014 13:59, Michael StJohns wrote:
I think MR's correct here: 3777 3.4 says,

     The intent of this rule is to ensure that members of the IESG and
     IAB serve the number of years that best facilitates the review of
     one-half of the members each year.

If a new AD position is created, I think doing a 3 year appointment is most
consonant with 3777 3.4, but I don't think 1 year is forbidden.

You need to read it all.   Regular candidates serve a 2 or 3 year
appointment.  Mid-term vacancy fillers serve between 1 to three years
depending on when the vacancy occurs.   AFAIK we've never made a normal
vacancy 1 year appointment.  And I think its been a while since we've had a 3
year term appointment.

I very much hope we can still apply common sense (with a rough consensus) when
we encounter a case that doesn't fit the letter of the rules.

'"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically
in both hands, "the law is a ass - a idiot."' (Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist,
1838)

   Brian